Nylon 66 Rods
Further Information about Nylon 66 Rods
Nylon rod is recognised as the most widely used and known engineering plastic on the market as it has some useful features and often outsells other engineering plastics. It is so successful due to its ease of machine ability, and can be machined much easier and quicker than materials such as bronze or brass which have traditionally been chosen in past years. Nylon 66 rod is also much lighter in weight than bronze which can help reduced labour costs and reduced risks of injury connected with some longer bearings and components.
Our manufacturers produce engineering plastics that are slightly oversize in either diameter and/or thickness. This oversize tolerance, which is listed in the tables below, is provided to assist customers to produce very accurate items within the size shown and remove any minor surface imperfection.
Nylon 66 Rod Tolerances:
Tolerance in mm
5 - 6
+0.1 to +0.4
8 - 10
+0.1 to +0.5
12 - 14 - 16 - 18 - 20
+0.2 to +0.7
22 - 25 - 28 - 30
+0.2 to +0.9
32 - 36 - 40
+0.2 to +1.1
45 - 50 - 56
+0.3 to +1.3
60 - 65 - 70
+0.3 to +1.6
75 - 80
+0.1 to +2.0
+0.5 to +2.2
+0.6 to +2.5
+0.7 to +3.0
120 - 125
+0.8 to +3.5
130 - 135 - 140
+0.9 to +3.8
+1.0 to +4.2
165 - 180
+1.2 to +5.0
+1.3 to +5.5
230 - 250
+1.5 to +6.2
Applications for Nylon 66 Rod:
- Nylon rod is often specified for bearings and so on as the wear and abrasion resistance is really good
- It can also be used for pulleys and bushes because it can withstand high pressure due to its very high strength, in total it can withstand up to one tonne per square inch
- It can also be used for rollers and spacers
- It is suitable for applications where low maintenance is required or in environments where maintenance access is not always an option
- It is not suitable to use Nylon 66 rod in damp or wet conditions where tight tolerances are also important since it is hydroscopic which means that it will absorb moisture causing the material to expand, although this is not always a problem but in tight tolerance applications this slight expansion may cause binding issues
Advantages of Nylon 66 Rod:
- Nylon rod is an excellent engineering plastic for shock resistance and absorption which helps in specific environments where other materials pass on heavy repeated shock loadings that over time can damage other important and valuable components
- It has excellent electrical insulation properties which are valuable towards reducing risk or alternatively adding the advantage of having built in electrical insulation within a piece of plant
- Another advantage of Nylon rod is its ability to resist to corrosion, whereas many other traditional materials corrode and break down with increased friction and an accelerated demise of important bearings
- Nylon rod has excellent oil and chemical resistance and so is diverse in its abilities
- Nylon rod can be bonded with modern adhesives and through this gives the user many more possibilities
Grade Options for Nylon Rod:
- The two most popular grades of Nylon rod are Nylon 6 and Nylon 6.6 and although both grades are manufactured slightly differently they obtain very similar performance results. Nylon rod is a very popular material for friction reducing additives that even further enhance the lifespan of a component
- One of the most popular additives for Nylon rod is Molybdenum Disulphide also known as MOS2, which is a black graphite-like dry lubricant which helps reduce friction and improve bearing life in harsh environments and where maintenance and bearing lubrications are not always an option
- Special grade oil is also added to the production of Nylon rod, these grades are normally green in colour and have been proven to reduce bearing noise, reduce friction and dramatically improve bearing life. Although they are slightly more expensive they will prove much more cost effective in the long term.
Temperatures for Nylon 66 Rod:
The temperature range of Nylon 66 rod is impressive. It has a maximum short term operating temperature of +160°C and a long term operating temperature that is +100°C.
Size Range of Nylon Rod:
We are able to offer Nylon rod from 4mm diameter up to 500mm diameter and in lengths which allow customers to purchase the optimum quantity they require for their application. In addition, we have a huge range of the excellent oil filled grade and a large range of the blue heat stabilised grade which is more stable and can reduce any distortion due to any machining process.
Why choose Nylon 66 Rod?
Nylon 66 Rod is marginally better at operating at higher temperatures than Nylon 6. Nylon 66 Rod is also slightly harder than the other grade which may help with machining and may result in a better surface finish.
Food contact and Nylon 66:
Our manufacturers state that white Nylon 66 rod is compatible with food contact applications but the black grade is not acceptable due to the additive used for it. However other engineering plastics may be more suitable for food applications such as Acetal.
To conclude, our Nylon rod is particularly good at resisting wear and abrasion and is suited to machining. It has a high mechanical strength and good sliding properties. It is also stiff and has a good creep stability and is resistant to many oils and chemicals.
|Bookmark & Share